Wednesday, April 17, 2024

1 more week then it's already over?

 Well for a while anyway, I'll explain that at the end, so stay tuned.... 
This week I stayed true to my word and fished out of Michigan City. The ramp is good, but this time of year there's alot of sand at the launch making it alot shallower. The upside is there's a fish cleaning station in the marina that can be used and that's a huge plus....
I got to the launch about sunrise and had lines set by 7:30, despite the rollers and the caps that had started from the NE. Since this is the first time I have fished out of MC in quite some time it took me a while to find the fish. And for some reason I didn't have any waypoints on the graph from my earlier trips. I don't know what happened but they were completely gone. Anyway, I finally started getting into the fish and got to chipping away at my limit. I did notice the fish I was catching were a bit bigger than they were last week. As soon as I landed my second Coho I managed to land one of the hooks into my pointer finger. Since I was the only one on the boat I couldn't employ the string trick so I grabbed the hook with my needle nose as tight as I could and ripped it out. 
More to the truth broke it off.....
So once I broke it off, I got the fish out of the net and in the bleed bucket. Then went for round 2 of removing the partial hook with the needle nose. I was pretty worried that it would break off again. Fortunately it came out with one good tug. I really gotta learn to keep hooks out of my fingers and hands....
sorry it's such a terrible pic.
 as Ronnie told me....hooks are for fish. 
After I got it out, I let it bleed to clean it out then put a band aid on it so I didn't bleed all over my boat again.... back to fishing.
Not really a whole lot to report, after the hook thing, the lake laid down a little and I started stacking them up.
 I went 6 for 7, I actually caught a short on the slider on my rigger @ 15 down and 15 back.... which was the only time it fired all day. The majority of the fish came on the orange Rapala. I was in 30-48 fow and speeds were 2.2-3.? the reason my speeds were so far apart was the gusts and rollers made it very difficult to keep a halfway steady speed. But I managed to hit limit by about 2:30ish.
This is what did the damage this week...
Not done yet... here's the video πŸ‘‡

 I only have one more week then TURKEY SEASON opens πŸ‘and fishing goes on the shelf 😩until season is over or I get a bird.πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™




No comments: