Thursday, January 4, 2024

Happy New Year..... first hunts of 2024

 Monday I started at my River spot I had opportunities to shoot some ducks but I was waiting for a better shot and they didn't want to give me one, so I left out with no ducks. I did scare the crap out of a fox that was chasing a squirrel about 10 feet behind me. He didn't see me sitting down by the tree, when he did he left quickly, I saw him for like 2 seconds. 
Tuesday I hit one of the area lakes and shot horribly, not just horribly, like really really bad. I did knock down a drake and a hen mallard. Then I proceeded to miss multiple multiple mallards. I had a flock of geese that would have worked in, but I was messing around with the Mallards at the time.
It was blowy and cold today, I had on all my clothes.
 Yesterday was the last day of duck season for the year. Jake was finally able to make it out. So we hit  one of the properties that I've been beating the crap out of the ducks and geese on since October. We had nothing fly.... I take that back, we did have 1 goose and 2 ducks leave the pond while Jake was there. At 11am Jake had to go, as he was leaving the field I had two flocks of geese come in and I shot one goose, with him laying on his belly in the field a couple hundred yards away. After he left it took me 15 minutes to shoot my four other geese for my limit of 5. Then I waited a couple hours and I had a drake and a hen come in the drake landed in the decoys. I didn't know where she went so I was waiting for her to come around, she never came around. The drake got nervous and he jumped up so I shot him. When I got up to get him she took off out of the water and I shot her. I ended up with five geese and two ducks. I think my year total of ducks is going to be pretty good. I shot a lot of ducks this year, not a whole lot of geese yet, but that should be changing when the weather shows up. Now I'm only going to be loaded for geese, that makes it a little easier. 

No comments: