Thursday, November 9, 2023

Duck season Ya'll

 Before we start with what I did this week, I would be remiss if I didn't give a critter recap from my time to, from, and in AZ so: Elk, Mule deer, Antelope, Merriam turkey's, Road runner, Quail, Coyote, Jackrabbit, Cottontail rabbit, Ducks, Geese, Collared doves, White wing doves, Mourning doves, Hummingbirds, Love Birds...... think that's it.
 I didn't see a rattlesnake so I might have to go back????
 
This week somewhere in Indiana....
Duck is what's in so that's what I'm hunting, lotta lessons learned (again) this week.
 I went out Monday on a field I have permission. I did really well, I had ducks landing in the decoy's before shooting. When I did shoot I was spot on with 4 shots 4 ducks.
 Here's the lesson: The roost was so close I didn't want to get up to retrieve my ducks when I put them down. So I waited the 15 mins it took for me to limit before picking them up. Well, looks like one of them wasn't dead and got hid under some cornstalks. I looked for 2 and a half hours for that last duck to no avail. I finally gave up with 3 of my 4 ducks.
Tuesday I went back to the same lake I hunted last week, very few ducks this week. I got a couple shots but clean misses, so no ducks Tuesday.
I did get invaded by a raft of coots. 
Wednesday I was going to hit the lake next to the house, but someone was already on it so I headed to a lake I scouted this summer. I started out in the rain, headed across the lake got set up and had my first duck come in right over the spinner. He got to come home with me... The next 2 flocks were the learning flocks (again). 
1. The first flock that came in worked great, they responded to the call and came right in. Not in front but on the right side, so when they got close (too close) I shot the drake. When I saw him dropping I swung on a hen and shot her. I watched her hit the water then I looked back at the drake to see where he was going to drop. Well, he didn't drop he started to pick up and flew cattail high to I don't know where. I watched him go out of sight and then looked back to see where the hen was. She dove as soon as she hit the water and when she came up she must've rode the wind and waves to the shore, because I never saw her again. Lesson learned stay with the bird you shoot until it's dead. 
2. Next a pair was coming in saw something they didn't like and just flew up to the right. Not really flaring but just picking up. Well, I had a shot on the low duck and if I had hit him better on that shot I would've got him. Unfortunately he shrugged off my first and second and sailed into the marsh. Second lesson learned only shoot at the ducks that if you put them down are retrievable. These are not new to me lessons but seems like I have to be reminded of them every year. 
I HATE feeding coyotes, mink and eagles.
Lessons learned hopefully for the rest of this year.....
For those of us keeping track that's 2 limits of mallards shot with only 1 limit coming home... I gotta do better.

No comments: