Thursday, November 17, 2022

Seriously last week of deer season

 Monday I started my hunt for a buck. Jake let me hunt on his property he had quite a few nice looking deer on cam. 
I started the day with a couple doe's and a little 6 chasing them around. After they left I had 2 more yearlings enter the field. That's when my day changed, Jake called me and asked how I was doing. When I told him what I had seen he let me know he had a giant over by him and if I didn't see anything in the next 15-30 minutes to shoot over to the house. 
Well long story short we ended up putting a spot and stalk on this deer. We ended up cresting a little hill and the deer was standing there looking at us. So I did what any idiot would've done, I brought the rifle up and steadied it to the best of my abili.... boom. Miss, deer still standing there chamber another rou... boom. Miss, deer still standing there chamber another roun... boom. Miss, deer walking away need more shells. Jake says,"I didn't think we would need anymore". So he runs the mile back to the house to get more shells while I keep track of the buck. When he gets back we gather ourselves and walk over to where the buck was. He wasn't dead but the doe he was with took off and then so did he..... Complete misses... 😭
List of excuses:
1. Never shot gun before
2. Did not adjust scope for my old man eyes
3. Afraid to move didn't have solid rest
4. First buck I've taken a shot at in years
5. Biggest buck I have seen on the hoof
This picture does him little good Jake says he would've gone 140 and is the biggest deer he's seen in his woods..... and I screwed it up.
 
So, after been completely demoralized I pulled myself together and finished out the day in the panel blind. Having no luck that night, Jake said it was ok for me to hunt the corner woods in the morning. So I got there well before daylight and was still sulking from the miss the day before. When the first deer of the day appeared, a little doe with a big body trailing. It was the he/she buck (antlers completely broke off) if I had my cross bow he would've been dead. I could've tagged him as a doe and kept hunting for a buck. When he went into the woods it was a good hour before I saw the next deer which was a little doe. I noticed some movement behind her and got ready. Sure enough it was a nice 8pt which I really couldn't see I just knew it was a big body and alot of antler. The little doe cruised by me at 40 yards and he wasn't far behind. As soon as I had a clear shot I let him have it with Jake's 6.5 Creedmore. That round just dropped him, he didn't even go 5 yards, game over tagged out.
 By the way after some adjustments I used the same gun to take this deer.
 Free at last, Free at last Oh thank god I am free at last.
Now who's down for some duck and goose?

No comments: