Thursday, November 10, 2022

Last week of deer season?

 Monday started out great with a shot at a nice buck after only 20 minutes on stand. After the shot it looked to me that I had made a good clean shot. So, I climbed down from my stand and went to the truck to get my knife. I got to the last spot I had seen him and immediately found the blood trail and half my bolt. After 20 yards I found the other half of my bolt minus the broadhead. The bloodtrail was pretty easy to follow so I didn't think it would take too long to find the buck. After getting to the end of the property I had permission to track on, I ended up backing out and getting permission to track on the next property. With the landowners permission I went back and continued the search, the property owner even came out to help. After a couple minutes Sheila took point and stopped following blood, she was just kinda meandering slowly looking for a dead buck. An hour or so went by without any good news and with nothing else to follow I had to call off the search. I think I had hit him a little far forward in the shoulder, he bled but I'm pretty sure he made it.
I had kept my buddy Jake up to date with all the goings on of the morning. When I told him I didn't find the deer he told me the neighbor was cutting his corn and I should sit at the pothole. So that's what I did, I got my hunting clothes back on and headed over to sit at the pothole. The pothole is a low spot in the field that Jake has permission to hunt. After only a couple passes they stopped cutting the corn, with only a couple hours til dark I waited it out. With only 15 minutes to go I finally had some 🦌 file into the pothole. When a decent doe stopped and just stared at me, with only 20 yards between us, I was unable to restrain myself. After watching the bolt zip right through her my heart sank, I thought I had made another bad shot. Well, that doe didn't make it 75 yards when she went down in the field. Now that I have a deer at the processor I can mess around and try for a buck. Jake tagged out last week with a nice wide 8 and has been giving me free reign of the property he has to hunt. We just got done pulling the cards for his honey hole property and saw a giant that he's going to try and put me on Monday. So maybe there will be another deer pick after this one..... 🤞
She weighed in at a decent 100 pounds.

No comments: