Thursday, January 7, 2021

pretty darn good week

 Monday I did my shopping and headed out to do some scouting. Well, it ended up where Jake and I got to hunt one of my properties, scratch that, we shot at some stuff. At least I did, I think we started out 12 shots for 2 geese, not even close to a good start. The first goose to hit the ground was a bonus- specklebelly this is the only property that I've seen them on, I shot one 2 years ago. The next pair of geese was probably the  funniest. I had a pair coming in from my right to my left and Jake was to my left. When they were in gun range I sat up turned and gave 'em 3. Only to watch in astonishment while the goose just kinda hovered in mid air, I was thinkin' why isn't Jake shooting, right about then I heard kinda in a whisper, "hey, duck". Well that's when I realized why Jake wasn't shooting, I was sitting up between him and the geese. As soon as I laid down he sat up and smacked the one I hit and it went down. We both had a pretty good laugh at the way the morning was transpiring. So now we had 2 geese down one Canada and one speck. We got busted a couple times hanging out of our blinds talkin' cause the geese were coming in from behind us. Well, I sat up and turned around to watch our backs, while Jake kept an eye in front of us. That's when they started to fly off roost and start looking for food. We had one flock fly in the kill hole and we dropped a couple, not sure how many we need Jake asked me how many left and I did a quick scan in front and said one apiece. Just then another flock was upon us and as I called the shot we both sat up and picked out a bird and squeezed the trigger. Two birds fell, we went out to take a count of the bodies in the decoys and sure enough we were done, limits reached.
This is Jake's first Speck and this is the pic he takes:
Even the one we took of the limits: 
Buddy that's a happy, happy man...
 Here's the one I like better...
Kinda almost a smile... we'll work on that.
Wednesday I took the day off. 
  This morning: 6 decoys, 4 hours, and 2 geese.
Today I went to a property I've hunted before but just got back on this year. It was just a scouting mission but I did get 2 geese and only shot 4 times, one then 3. The first one was a sniper special- one shot one kill on a passing flock. The three almost couldn't be avoided, the wind had switched and they were pretty far out there. Even though they were locked up and coming in as I wanted them to. The 2 three inch shells didn't touch 'em but the last 3 1/2" did the trick and another goose fell.
Well, I packed up at noon got home at 1, cooked the geese from Tues., cleaned today's geese, ate, showered and finally had time to sit down an write this, which by the way has put me waaayyy past my bedtime. 
It's alright though my reader's are worth it.
Hopefully I'll be able to keep this momentum going next week.
I didn't buy any fishing lures this week. 😁

No comments: