Wednesday, January 27, 2021

All aboard the struggle bus.... HHHooootttt hhhoooottt

 Jake had alot of geese around his house this week, so we got a plan together and called in Doug to help with the carnage. We starting setting up in the dark not knowing when the geese were going to show. When the daylight finally cut the darkness we were all giddy with excitement in anticipation of the guests of honor. Who were a no show, Doug had to go by 10:30 Jake and I went to get some gas station lunch. We drove around and checked the area roosting lakes and they were looooaaaaded with geese. So we decided to hang out 'til sunset this time.... Yeah I said this time, this would be the third time I've hunted this very same hill in 3 years and have yet to put feathers on it. Back to the story... Doug called after a couple hours and we told him what we were going to do. He decided to come back out a little later. So now we were all set, the dekes were out, the blinds were set, now yet again we were waiting on the geese.
But when they showed up....
(Video)
We finally did get a flock to play and of course I wasn't recording, they didn't really give it up but they got close enough for us to scratch a couple out. Then a pair flew in and only one flew out... I along with the other two left the field with significantly lighter blind bags.... That means we shot alot.
Even though we shot terribly and only put 3 down I still chalked this hunt up in the win column. You gotta keep in mind this is the third time I've hunted this hill and the first time anything showed. The other thing is these are the same geese everyone's been chasing for 3 months, they knew the game.
Monday we went South for the big weather event. Which was suppose to be rainy, drizzle, fog all day and ended up being snowy, sleety, fog all day. Which is actually better except the blind I brought for us when it gets wet just turned black. When everything around you is iced over or white, black really sticks out.
Fortunately for Jake he got his goose before the majority of the snow showed up. We had a flock come in and almost did it right, I called the shot, changed my mind and then called the shot again 'cause Jake was already standing when I changed my mind. Really bad call on my part but Jake did manage to get a goose that sailed a good 200 yards that I went to get. This is the one goose Jake got before he had to go.
Yeah it was banded, this is the second year that I haven't shot a band. The years not over yet but, I bring him to my spot and he shoots his first speck and lands a band. What's next for him... neck collar? I don't even have one of them. Anyway, I was happy for him and when he left he lent me the layout he brought with him. The good news is I used it to put a couple geese on the ground, the bad news is I'm probably going to be buying another new blind next year.
 
 I stayed until sunset then started picking up, I didn't get limit but it was another really fun day. 
Looks like we'll have another "weather event" Sunday into Monday, not sure where I'll be but hopefully I'll be shooting better. By the way when I was by myself I did much better, I think I'm rushing my shots. Gotta slow down and conserve ammo.
Does anyone know where I can score some hevi steel 3" BB's?

No comments: