Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Everythings on hold for Turkey season

That's right Turkey season started last Wednesday, and the weather was damper than I would like to see. Even so, it was the start of turkey season, so sack up and get out there. I didn't get my draw for Mississinewa this year so I hunted my magic5 acres and Jake had me out with him on his props. I went out on the opener and we (Jake and I) hunted pretty hard and only had 3 birds to work before the day was done. Thursday morning and Sunday evening I hunted magic5 and didn't work a bird, I did see some when scouting. Monday had monsoon written all over it so I called off, big mistake, it didn't start raining 'til late in the day. Tuesday Jake and I had birds around all day just couldn't get any to commit.
This morning.... well this morning was a dark, windy, rain threatening day and the birds were up early. We got set up a little before shooting light, and the birds were gobbling like crazy. We no more than got set up when a Tom hit the ground and was cutting the distance to meet his destiny.
Well if you watch the video I didn't have camera light and the whole hunt only took about 15 mins. I had to have Jake check the time while the Tom was on his way, just to make sure it was legal shooting light. Anyway, he was an awesome bird and worth the hassle of going out in and drying everything out because of the rain. Maybe next year will be drier, I sure hope so.
Next week will be back to fishing not sure where but I hope it'll be a big lake.

No comments: