Thursday, February 28, 2019

I know what I did wrong....

First the good news: while I was out coyote hunting/ turkey scouting, I found something I hadn't last week. LOTS OF TURKEY TRACKS, so now all I need to do is get drawn. Of course, that's not a guarantee to get a turkey but at least between this week and last year, I've got a starting point.
Now back to what I did wrong.... just seems the more I live I am able to keep adding more stories to this column, am I not supposed to be learning from my mistakes? Anywho, I was on my last stand of the day and was walking into a spot that I have seen yote tracks in the past. When I was walking back to the spot I was going to call from I saw a yote at the end of the field. He moved left to right of me through a fencerow and into another field. As I was walking to try and get into position I was trying to get my shooting stick out. I couldn't free it from my backpack so I thought I would be able to shoot from the kneeling shooting position. When the coyote stopped I took my shot.... and missed.
It's only 170, I am sighted in for 200 with no hold over.
So onto what I did wrong.
    1. For that distance, I should have gotten my stick out, no matter what, I didn't have another rest.
    2. I never dialed up my scope, so I was shooting at a small target at over 170 yards on 4 power. I bought a scope that goes up to 9 and to date I am just wasting 5 powers. 😡
    3. I should've gotten more sturdy which means sitting down on the nasty, wet, cold, ground before taking the shot. I owed it to the critter to make the best shot I could.
No animals were harmed on this hunt.
So in closing I made a bad shot and would like to say I will learn from this....but as we all know the next time I'm faced with the same situation and under a bit of a time crunch.
I'll do the best I can to get the best shot I can and just let the lead fly.

P.S.- There might be a bonus coyote hunt next week.... or I'll just be working on the boat.
Either way will be a win.

No comments: