Thursday, October 25, 2018

It's here, It's here, It's finally here

Duck and goose have officially opened for me, and yes I triple checked the date. I started the season on one of my fields in "town".
this glorious morning starts my season
 The birds I saw the day prior really didn't make an appearance, however, we did manage to drop some geese. My buddies J and Scott took a couple birds each and decided to head for the house around 1 p.m. I wanted to hang out for the evening flight and promptly fell asleep. I woke up around 2ish to the sight and sound of a tractor starting to disc the field I was hunting in/next to.
So as soon as he started, I got busy with getting my crap out of the corn, even though he was discing the bean field. When I got home I got busy with finding a place to hunt Tues. and I found it in Big Turkey Lake. I hung out 'til around noon then picked up my dekes took the hero pic
with the single goose that fell in love with my spread. This was more of a scouting trip than anything else, the goose was a bonus.
So when I got home I made supper...
SAD SAD DAY- 1 down 1 to go
 and started getting ready for the next day's hunt, I decided to hunt a pond a ways away when the phone rang.
 My buddy J was asking what my plans for Wed. were, I told him about my planned water hunt. He said that he just got done watching 500 or so mallards and a couple hundred geese drop into a field he can hunt, then asked if I would like to go. I thought about for about 1/8th of a second and asked what time to meet at his house. Well, we hammered out a time and I changed all gear to hunt a field. I got to J's house right about on time and chatted with the Scott and Andy until J came out to greet the day. Well, we made the 10-minute drive to the field and promptly deployed his 7 doz goose decoys and a doz mallard decoys set the blinds, hid the truck and trailer and got ready for the skies to turn dark with birds. Since it's called hunting and not killing, the birds had other ideas about how the day will go. We did work a couple flocks of geese, we just weren't able to drop them in the kill hole. I'm not sure why they didn't commit, but they all lived another day. The mallards... well, the mallards never made it off the water wherever they roosted that night. So after a beautiful morning and working the couple flocks of geese we packed 'er in and headed to the house.
I got home and fixed a roast with taters, carrots, and onions, sprinkled with a pouch of Lipton mushroom onion soup mix. MMMMmmm good, when it was done cooking I hooked up the boat and headed to Loon lake which is 5 minutes from the house. This was really just another scouting trip for me, I really hate evening hunts. This one, however, was pretty cool, the lake was made for duck hunting and the bottom was all sand and gravel which makes it super easy to walk.
So to recap- 2 geese taken, 2 lakes added to my duck lakes, and a couple days in a field with friends, not too shabby.

No comments: