Thursday, October 31, 2013

Ducks, ducks, ducks

So.....I had to put my truck into the shop last week.  I was having my E-brake line replaced and new shocks put on and they found my sway bar bushings were rusted completely through so I had to have those replaced, as well.  I didn't have my truck until Tuesday afternoon, which was O.K. since I had an evening field hunt set up.  I made it out to the super secret spot at 3:30 pm, threw out a spread, brushed up the blinds, and waited for the action. At 6:39 pm (sunset) it was apparent there would be no action. I did have a set of mallards working, only for them to get spooked by a passing train. I also turned 4 geese out of a flock of 30 or so but was unable to keep them coming my way.  I had as good of a time as one can have and not shoot a thing.

Wednesday, I went to a lake in the area and had better luck. I dropped the first mallard that came over on the all too used 3rd shot. Then I had a pair of wood ducks come in; I shot and dropped the drake but missed the hen. 'Switched my attention back to the drake who was trying to make it to shore, shot and missed, shot and stopped him from getting away. I got out to retrieve my prize (25 yards to my right) and just as I was bending down to pick him up I caught something out of the corner of my eye dropping from the sky.... When I looked over to see what it was, it was the hen falling DOA onto the water. I could not believe my eyes! I stood there in amazement for a couple minutes before going back to the boat in order to retrieve my 3rd prize.
The only other shots I took were on 3 geese that were coming in left to right, low and slow. Easy right.... that's what I thought, until I ran 'er dry with nary a feather to show for it. Looking back I think I flock shot, I don't remember getting on a single bird.

Thursday was a weather challenge to say the least, winds 20-30 mph with 40 mph gusts, with alot of rain. I really hadn't seen that much before 10am and had it in my head that would be the time to skedaddle. The hen redhead changed my mind, she came in and I dropped her in a single shot.
Next I had a gadwall give me a fly-by. I gave him a 5 note with a quack and back he came, 2 shots later I was picking up a beautiful drake. Lastly I had a pair of mallards appear at the edge of my spread, feet down, backpedaling. Once again I dropped the drake on the magical third shot. I need to go through my shells, find the misses and throw them out, or just load the third shell first. Hmmmmm.... that's an idea.
I have almost topped my duck tally from last year already... good times.

No comments: