Thursday, September 12, 2013

Last days of early season

I was reading an article this year that you shouldn't show your hand to geese in the early season. That means don't put out all your decoys so you can change it up later in the year. Well I gave it a shot this year, I don't know how many decoys "they" put out but I will say the 14 I was using just wasn't enough.
Yesterday I put out all my decoys, which totals to 30. That's all it took to put some feathers into my boat. It's just shameful that I had to learn this lesson the hard way, and miss out on the other geese that I might have had a shot at if I had the larger spread.
 This has to be the lowest number of geese I have ever shot in an early season. I should have changed up my spread last week after the first day.
Oh well live and learn, the lesson I took from this is "they" aren't always right.
I ended up with 2 yes only 2 geese. I could've had one today but he came in while I was picking up my decoys. He wanted in so bad he circled twice and still landed, with me out at my furthest decoy trying to sneak back in to get to my shotgun. I gave him a 3 shot salute but he might have been a little far.
Did you notice I painted my gun??? How's it look??

On Tuesday I got out for some dove hunting and the action was less than spectacular, however my shooting was awesome. I went 4 for 5, the pic only shows 3 doves, because I got the last one while I was picking up my decoys.
Now that early season is over for me, and since I am not bow hunting this year. I will probably go fishing a couple more times before the waterfowl opener on the 19th of Oct. However if I want to squeeze a trigger, dove season will still be open, I'll let them settle down a little first.

No comments: