Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Won't starve this year

Well I went out deer hunting this morning and just like last week the deer were hanging out by the wood line. I saw six deer by the wood line at about 250-300 yards from my stand. I was keeping an eye on them when I noticed a deer coming from my left across the winter wheat field. That doe made it halfway across and turned around when I looked back at the others they were making their way to me.
It took them a while but they finally made it to my field and started to cross. The bad thing was they were running with no intention of slowing down. I picked one out, led her a little and squeezed the trigger. I heard the muzzleloader bark and the thump of the bullet finding it's home. When the smoke cleared I watched as all the deer were still running. I quickly started to reload just in case I got another shot. After I was reloaded I looked up and saw my deer down and the rest of the deer were just hanging out by her. So I thought if I could get down and sneak to within a hundred yards or so I could get another shot. I stealthily put my plan into effect however just as I started to get close enough to get another shot the doe's picked my out and busted.
It was 8:30 am by this time, so I started to the car to lighten my clothes and get to work. I walked back out and started to field dress the deer when I heard the best sound a successful deer hunter can hear, the sound of a side by side driving in the field to you. My buddy Tom had heard me shoot, so he threw a jacket on and hopped on his Kabota and drug my deer in for me. Sure is good having friends with ATV's.
she weighed out at 131 pounds
From this angle the shot looks a little far back, but she was quartering away and on the run. The exit hole was actually right above her shoulder.

Ducks and Geese beware....... I'm back

No comments: