Thursday, December 2, 2010

Good week

Have you ever had one of those days by which all others are measured?
Well that's how I started out my week. I went to the river on Tues. and had a great day. I brought home all I shot at minus one duck. Both the ducks and goose worked great. With just a quack or a honk, and they were setting their wings and looking for a place to land.The day started out warm and turned cold with 30 mph gusts.
It was however one of the best days I have had this year.





















I was supposed to hunt a field on Wed. but the wind was going to be blowing really bad. So I did a 180, grabbed my 20 gauge and headed for Huntington Res. for some pheasant.
I got down there pretty early and started hunting. I was only about 10 min into the hunt and I saw my first pheasant. Now I'm not going to mislead you, I tried for the ground pound.
I was denied, apparently there was too much weedage between the pheasant and myself. The shot spooked the bird and he took off, I nailed him to the ground with my second shot.
So there I was 10 min in and already had 1/2 my limit. I thought, "this is going to be easy".
Wrong
, I saw 2 other birds and even heard one cackling in the morning, but I couldn't put my hands on another one. I did shoot a rabbit really dead.
So that's where I ended my day one rabbit and a pheasant. I did realize 2 things-
1. I'm no spring chicken anymore, and all the times I've heard ,"I'm too old to do that" I can relate. I used to be able to run up mountains while carrying all my gear and guns only to be stopped by darkness.
Wed. I had to slow down cause I got a cramp on the inside of my right leg. When that went away I got the same thing on my left leg. Thank goodness they didn't cramp in unison or I would still be in the woods unable to move.
The 2nd is I need to lose 1 or 30 pounds, and all this walking, hunting fun stuff would be alot more fun.

Day off number 3 or as normal people call it "Thursday".
I made it to the field I was going to hunt on Wed. and brought a friend from work. This was the first time I used the truck to haul all my stuff to the field, and let me tell ya it was packed. Next time I'll get a pic of the truck with all the gear in it.
Well I've been watching this field for a while and even though there was never a ton of birds on it, there were always birds on it. The only thing I didn't really know was what time they came in.
So we waited and waited and waited, there was very little even flying so we waited,did I mention we waited? Well we did, and it finally paid off with a flock of 25 or so birds coming in. They circled at least 3 times before committing to come in to land. The bad news is they wanted to land too far to the right. We had a house down the road on the right so I wanted to try to not shoot that way. I don't think we could've hit it but no sense tempting fate, so when they got close enough I gave the word and feathers flew. I unleashed my first shot on the goose the farthest left of the 15 or so birds to my right. I did hit him but he didn't go down, so I swung on the 5 or so birds to my left and dropped one. My buddy was able to connect on his second shot and there we were with geese on the ground. I got up and walked over to where my first goose was loosing altitude to see if I could find him. I couldn't find him so hopefully he's either dead or alive and not wounded somewhere.
We stayed for a wee bit longer, and just when I started checking the insides of my eyelids for cracks, he speaks up and says he's ready to pack it in. I didn't protest cause I really didn't think we would get anymore takers.



















He's really gotta get a hat.

No comments: