Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Merry Christmas

Well I haven't been very good at keeping this blog up to date as of late. I blame work, if I didn't have to go to work I would have more time to write and even a little time to hunt.
Anyway, I'll just start by saying,"I did not get a deer". I hunted all through bow season and a couple days of muzzle loader and came home empty.
Once again I shall proclaim that if it's brown it's down. I shall pass on no more medium sized deer. The last time I passed on deer hoping for something bigger I got skunked. This year was no different I had my chances and allowed small deer to walk. My new motto is,"young deer taste real good."

Two weeks ago Weed and I limited out on a field I got permission to hunt. The thing about this field is it generally holds alot of birds as long as you don't shoot 'em out day after day.
Now that I said that let me say that this hunt took place on a Thurs. After we shot our birds we had a hundred or so birds still working. We had messed up on 2 flocks of ducks and I noticed that one of the flocks of geese had a spec in it. We don't see spec's down here so I really wanted this bird. I even had a high passing shot when we were pickin' up our gear.
So with duck season ending the next week I decided then that this was the field I wanted to hunt. I made the arrangements and hunted this field the last day of duck season which was the next Tues.
I hunted all day and only managed 1 duck at 4:20 pm.Well as I was going to get my decoy bags I talked with the homeowner adjacent to the property and he asked me how I did. I told him and he said I missed it, apparently Sunday there were 200-250 birds, ducks and geese in this field.
There was even a coyote harassing them all day, trying to get a free meal.
Well after hearing that I knew what had happened, the cold weather froze up the roost and they left dodge for softer water. Since this day I have only seen a couple dozen geese out here. I am hopeful however that as soon as we get a break in the weather the geese will come back. I can only hope the spec is still with them. I am sure that anyone seeing this goose will be gunning for him. Almost like they would a neck banded goose. I hope he makes it so I can get him. :)
I am still getting out goose hunting as much as possible the last 2 days however have yielded nothing. I hunted a field 2 days ago after securing permission to hunt another field. I was seeing the geese but nothing wanted to play. This morning I did some pass shooting at the river with nothing to show for it.
Oh well there's always tomorrow, and I will be going out.
Until next time have a Merry Christmas, get out and hunt they haven't taken that away yet.

No comments: