Tuesday, October 20, 2009

First day out

Got out to my SW duck spot this morning @ 5:40 am. Yes I was a little excited and a tad early. I was set up and waiting on shooting light by 6:30 am. When it was finally light enough to shoot the show had already begun. Seems like it started with a fly bye from a hen wood duck.
Ok now I'm ready, the next one's mine. After watching most of the morning flight fly by just out of reach I had a couple drake mallards bow up and drop in. My calling was ok but my shooting, not so much. I dropped one (not the one I was trying for) I'm alright with that, first day jitters and all. Very happy with putting one in the boat, a gorgeous drake.
Now it kinda slows outside of some geese, which I'm more than happy to play with seein's how they're not in season. Brought in a pair with just 2 dekes and some truly awesome calling, yes it was me. They set up just outside of my spread by my goose dekes. While I let them know how dead they would be if it was goose season I saw 2 mallards swim the corner of the point. So as to make them feel at ease I give 'em some quacks and single feed chuckle. They do an about face and go back the same way they swam in. As I'm kickin' myself for scaring them away, I spot 7 mallards swimming around the point.

They brought friends.

I get ready by switching chokes, keeping an eye on them the whole time. A pair peel off and start to get closer, just when I think they won't come any closer I stand up and yell. The 2 geese and 5 ducks take to the air, the 2 I'm watching are just watching me. So I flip the top on the boat and they take off. I dropped the drake first then swing on the hen, she drops too. She's not done though so I pump two more rounds her way.



A day's work.

What's that? You can't see the hen?.... yeah I couldn't either, so I counted 3 on the limit even though I only retrieved 2.

Oh well there's alway's tomorrow I'll be waiting for them.....just not quite so early.

No comments: