Thursday, February 16, 2023

First day of coyote

 I wanted to go out Tuesday this week Cliff could only make Monday for some reason, so Monday it was.
I got to the meeting point in Auburn a little later than I wanted but we still made it down to Salamonie on time. 
We set up on our first spot and I played a banquet of dying animals for 15 min. All the while the dog barked and howled from the house behind us... no takers.
Spot #2 is a high ridge facing the East and with a SSW wind was kinda iffy but we gave it a shot anyway. I sent Cliff off to my left about 30 yards and started the call. I was messing with my watch to get the dive circle arrow on the minute hand. That way I knew how long we've been calling and it was giving me trouble cause I just cut my nails.... BANG. What? Where? I scanned in front of me and changed the sound to coyote pups in distress hoping to drag in another one. 
Needless to say that got my attention and I was in full scan mode for the rest of the call, which only lasted about 5 more minutes for a grand total of 8 minute stand. 
I shut the call down and looked over at Cliff as I asked if he got him? Nope, "rushed the shot", was the answer I got. Coyote fever strikes again.
We went down and looked for blood just in case, but there was none to find so we climbed back up the hill and continued with the day. 
As the day went on the wind picked up, and even though we did go until dark, we didn't call in anything but coons, hawks, and Eagles. 

I will give an atta boy shout out to Cliff. 
Who instead of yelling my name when he saw the coyote, actually pulled the trigger. Albeit he should've taken a little more time and squeezed the trigger to ensure proper bullet placement. 🙈

Well, that's the way it goes. 
Every miss is a learning experience, and I've learned alot over the years.

No comments: