Thursday, February 9, 2023

4 days 'til the end

Monday was the last day to hit the river, the melt was coming and the river gets too high. So I texted my buddy and headed for a nice easy river hunt. Unfortunately nobody bothered to inform most of the geese. I had geese flying all day just not by me, or at least close enough for a shot. Until this guy and his 2 friends showed up. After I got a hold of him I realized why he was the only one that came close enough to me.
He just couldn't see me with his bad eye, so I let him ride in the truck.
I scouted out West on Sunday and knew with the weather we had moving through that I needed to hunt it Tuesday. So I headed out and got set up at shooting, which turned out to be a little late. The geese were already taking off and headed out to where ever it was they wanted to go. Luckily quite a few of them wanted to be by me.
This guy was extra cool.
The day ended for me at 9:58 am so I called Jake to let him know how I did and we made plans to hunt the same field Wednesday evening.
I got to the field around 1:30ish and started setting up, Jake wasn't too far behind me. We had to wait until almost an hour before sunset to get some action. But when they started flying it was pretty steady. We ended up with 8 geese on the ground and one we couldn't find, so officially 2 short of limit. Even though I counted the downed one as part of my limit. The bad news is since we had to try and hunt up that flier, when we got back to the blind we just started picking up with no pic. Very sad... here's a fill in pic. This is kinda what it would've looked like, minus the snow and 2 of the geese. 
That's better.
Today I had a dental appt but was able to change it to next week, so Jake and I could go out again. The weather was crap rain turning to sun by noon then 20 mph winds gusting to 40 by noonthirty. All that happened except again no one told the geese they had to go out. It was 30's and cloudy in the morning with rain, turning to fog then sun and 50. We had had enough and were done with this season. 
I had some pretty good hunts but once again the weather ruled and it wasn't in my favor. 
All I really wanted was 6" of snow for a month or so.
Is that too much to ask for?
Next week and the week after I'll be chasing coyote's and maybe I'll find a little time to clean out my garage.
Where is my grill again....

No comments: