Thursday, January 16, 2020

Stale birds as far as the eye can see

Wow, isn't that the truth? Jake and I got out Monday on a new prop I got permission to hunt this year. I had been scouting it for a while and this was one of the best opportunities to get on it. We had to pack in quite a ways only to set up 100 yards from where we should have. I'll get it right next time, after all the work of getting in there we bumped off 3 dozen or so geese that were roosted on the water in the field. After they took off we got down to setting up the spread and wait to see if anything would return. It took a minute but we did have a flock of a dozen or so return and they definitely wanted to land, just not where we were, sorry Jake. We turned 'em to us but they really didn't want to be where we were. So after they made a hasty retreat, the wait was on... and on... and.. hey is that a goose? We were sitting there blind doors open contemplating when to start packing up when we had a goose come in, circle over us and continue to try and land. We helped him with the landing, kinda crash style after the 2 goose loads found their mark. So we did get one, sorry no pick, we got picked up and packed out by 11am. I made a trip around the block and by the time I got back I was able to watch a 3 pack do it perfectly on the spot I should've set up at. Next time gonna crush 'em.
Tuesday I set up on Big Turkey lake and waited until noon before shooting the only goose to come in. Really didn't even see that many geese, but we have alot of water all over right now.
last minute ramp pic
Wednesday I decided to head to town for a hunt at Kelly's property. I had to unass my spot on the fence row because of the wind direction. I had my buddy Cliff with me... you remember Cliff?
We made it to town early enough to get the gear hauled out and get the blinds stubbled in. This time out I decided to bring the trailer and set out a couple more full bodies than I had been putting out there. Well, after the fog lifted a little the birds got a little active and started to fly. We had a flock of a dozen or so geese coming in that kinda split into 2 flocks right before I called the shot and the better flock was the trailing flock. Well, Cliff has only been out one other time and didn't realize the differences between what ducks do and how geese come in. He was expecting the geese to do the duck thing and circle a couple times before committing. So when the geese started to flare I had to call the shot. Cliff was kinda caught off guard... he made up for it though, when he came up and gave 'em 3 he went wwaaayyyy over his shooting line and possibly rained all over the houses across the street. OOOOpppsss, that was of course after we had the talk about where not to shoot. Well, as poorly as we shot we did drop one in the field and actually sailed one into the addition, we'll get that one later. The hunt continued all the while waiting for a CO to show up and remind us where not to shoot. Well, the CO never showed and we settled in for a little snooze while waiting for the bulk of the geese closer to sunset. Around 12:45 Cliff says, "is it alright if we pack up around one? I gotta get my kids from the babysitter. Ummm... WHAT? Of course, that's all right...??? So, we start picking up and get out of the field with only a couple hours to the second-best time of the day. I don't know if they flew a little before sunset but I keep telling myself that they didn't.... nope I'm sure they didn't...😧
Anyway, after we picked up we went in search of the goose we sailed. After a little detective work, we were able to recover it in a little woods just across the road. So even though there's only one in the pic we did get 2... We probably could've had limit if we would've sta.... nope not gonna say it....
 Good news, we should get a push of birds this week with this front coming in. Wish me luck for next week.

No comments: