Thursday, February 13, 2014

The end of my waterfowl season

My last post ended with me being incapacitated with a back strain. I see it to be only fitting that this post picks up there. After a week of rest i.e.-no work, no play I was feeling good enough to try a hunt yesterday. I called up a buddy of mine and we went to a spot that requires only 6 decoys, and a short walk through the knee deep snow. We got there at around 4pm, kicked off the geese that were there, set up and waited.
Sunset was at 6:12 and at 6:06 I didn't think any of the geese we had kicked off would return, then we heard a honk. In a matter of 2 minutes we had 3 out of the 4 geese that came back, on the water waiting to be picked up. They came in picture perfect, I couldn't have scripted them to come in any better. When I got to the water and was about to net my first goose I noticed that it had an orange leg band. I netted him then I caught up to my second goose and finally the goose Jay shot made it down to me. Not too bad, only one goose got away (Jay's). The horrifying thing in this whole affair was even though I had my camera all set up to record the action,  I forgot to push the record button. So I didn't get any video, what a shame it would've been awesome video.
When I reported the bands I was told this goose was banded in 2008 in Mongo which is an hour north of here. I asked about the orange band and there was no information about it at all.
With only 2 weeks of hunting season left (coyote and fox) fishing season is right around the corner.

Oh and lets not forget about turkey season.

No comments: