Saturday, November 23, 2013

Gettin' tougher

Tuesday I waited all day for some ducks, finally I had a triple rocketing in. I knocked a drake down with the first shot, the second was a miss, and dropped a hen with the 3rd. When the hen hit the water the drake got up and flew away.... smart, wait 'til I'm out of shells then show your alive. That's impressive.
Wednesday I made an hour drive to a lake I really enjoy going to. When I got to my spot I must have pushed out 45 mallards in the dark. Since I really didn't see any ducks during the day, I thought I would stay 'til dark and try for the mallards I pushed out. Well around 3 pm (which is when my wife usually gets home), I tried to call to let her know my plans.
No reception, so I quickly gathered my stuff and raced in so I could get somewhere to give her a call before she started to worry. I am usually home by 2 or 3 when I go duck hunting. Well I finally got reception around 4 pm and let her know what was going on. She was not only not worried but figured, given the time, that I was going to stay 'til dark. She said she would've waited until  2 hours past dark to send out a search party.
I'm still unsure if I should've been happy or sad with the outcome. On one hand I wasn't home at the time I usually come home, and she wasn't worried. On the other hand she knew me well enough not to worry if I was a couple hours late. Hmmmmmmm ????
I did get a mallard, that in my haste to get home didn't even get a pic of, until I got home.

Thursday it rained all day and I only had one mallard work. He dropped in 50yards from the outskirts of my spread, not to come any closer.

No comments: