Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Last day for regular season geese

I went out yesterday and stayed in the field from sunup til sundown without firing a shot. It was soo cold that my Mountain dew and the water I had with, froze solid in the blind.
Today was slightly better, I woke up around 6am had some coffee and breakfast. When I finally decided to go out it was around 9am, by this time I'm usually set up and have been in the blind for 3 hours. So it was a little weird getting to the field so late and setting up in the daylight; I almost liked it. Today sure seemed just as cold as yesterday, but since I only had 7 hours afield I figured I could handle it.
It was very cloudy and windy but I managed to get a couple hours of sleep waiting for the birds to fly. Finally around 5pm I had a pair coming in from my left. I gave them a couple clucks and double clucks, they started to drop but not where I wanted them to. So I got a little pushy on my call and they started to turn and come to me. When they got to my kill hole I opened up, 2 shots later I had 2 geese on the ground. I held out and tried to get that magical third goose to round out my limit but it just wasn't in the cards. So I took the pics and packed her in for the day. It was nice to set up in the daytime but once again I was breaking it down by the light of the moon.

No comments: