Thursday, June 28, 2012

Finally something to write about

The last couple weeks I have fished some of the smaller lakes with mediocre results. With the mandatory days every other week at work I find my days off shortened.
Yesterday however was a different story, I was finally able to make it back up to the big lake after weeks of a north blow.
With the winds out of the SW I motored out to 70 fow (5 mi) and set my lines. After trolling for 30 mins I had my first rod fire, I grabbed it and quickly realized that this was a nice king. He made 3 line scorching runs, during the fight I had to try and clear my dipsy line because this fish was all over the back of the boat. Not sure how he came unbuttoned but he did, that might have actually been a good thing cause he almost had my spooled twice. Better to lose the fish than all my line and my new spoon.
Next up was a small king on a bloody nose slider, put him in the box. Then my deep rigger fired again, another scorcher he made 4 runs and again I almost got spooled but this guy made it into the box. #3 was another small king on a blue thunder set on a rigger 35 feet down. My last king also fired from the deep rigger same story as the other 2, gear burning runs and worried about getting spooled (I will be re spooling with more line). After landing the second king I decided to pack 'er in and started the 75 min run back in. Yes it took an hour and 15 min to get in, it only took 20 min to get out. The waves coming in from the SW where around 2-4 with some rogues thrown in for good measure. Needless to say I finally made it in, took the hero pics and rolled home. When I got home we fired up the grill and Sarah cooked 1 fillet while I put my gear away.
the ruler is 2' long
 By the way I got home and weighed the bigger kings and they were just over 9 pounds, if my scale is right, whollotta fight for a "small" fish.

No comments: