Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July's here with a heat wave

Sorry about not updating this like I should be, but there really hasn't been anything to write about. I have been getting out fishing but haven't really caught huge numbers or massive fish.
That has been the trend the last couple weeks.
Today however was different, I thought I should start with some night fishing considering it was supposed to get to 100 plus. So I went up to Crooked Lake, to try to catch some walleye and/or pike. I caught neither, all I caught was 1 smallmouth. So after staying until an hour or so after sunrise I decided to change lakes.
I went to Silver Lake to hopefully improve my luck and catch some bass and maybe a pike. I did catch some bass but the closest thing I came to a pike was a bowfin (dogfish). This beast put up the best fight I have had this year. When I was bringing him in I couldn't believe how he fought, and it's a roughfish!!  I'm guessing he weighed around 3 or 4 pounds, he even straightened 2 of my hooks.
Well I stayed until the sun popped out and bumped the temp up 10 degrees or so. After getting beat up all night and struggling until I got to Silver, when it heated up I was ready to throw in the towel. So I did just that, I packed up the boat and pointed the truck south for home.

P.S.- Hunting season is just around the corner..... I can't wait.

No comments: