Monday, January 3, 2011

New Years Eve hunt

Weed, Donovan, and I got out and stayed out Dec 31.
We were set up before the crack of dawn and laid in wait through the nice weather and the rain for our chance at some geese.
After noonish the first flock came over of which we dropped 2 out of it. Then another flock and once again we dropped 2.
We had one more flock work from behind us. They came over when we were all hangin' around with our blinds open. To my surprise they looked like they wanted to work so we put it to 'em. I was waiting for Weed to call the shot, while watching the birds land in groups getting closer to us, and in range. Apparently someone got anxious and blind doors opened and shotguns roared. The ground however stayed uncluttered- nothing fell. I did notice one flying lower than the rest, as I watched it looked to me like it went down.
The journey was a long one (400-500 yards) but worth it. I saw the goose in the next field over, when I got up to it to pick it up I noticed it wasn't the one I was looking for. So I picked him up and kept looking, after walking another 800-1000 yards I gave up. I figured either he didn't go down or he managed to avoid me, either way he was coyote food.
The goose I found, I figure was one of the geese from the first flock, that got hit but didn't drop. So it was a good thing I went to look for the other goose, if I hadn't I would've never found the one I did.

Sorry no pics, I did take some pics but it was a little after sunset and they didn't turn out at all.

No comments: