Friday, May 8, 2009

Turkey season is over

The Curse of the New Gear.

So I've spent 4 days down in Hoosier, saw birds everyday. We hunted all day, everyday, sunup til' sun down except for the first and last days we only hunted half days. Needless to say we hunted hard, up and down mountains all day.
Then I came home and worked for 3 days and started going up to Mongo for the "no show" hunts. I got picked 2 out of the 3 days I tried to hunt. Apparently the third time was not going to be the charm this year. After getting home Thurs. morning and sleeping. I came to the realization that my season was over. With no bird to show for all my effort.
I did see alot of neat stuff and nothing compares to a Turkey gobbling 100 yards out, but I wish I could've put a bird down.
Now I could blame it on the weather which was odd to say the least. Cold, windy and rainy weather does not a perfect Turkey hunt make. However you must hunt in what's given to you.
I could blame it on the birds who apparently didn't want to join me for Thanksgiving. I really would like to blame them, but can you blame them for refusing the invite?
I think I'll blame it on the new gear.....yep the gear had yet to put it's time in. It hadn't earned the right to call in a bird or carry one out. The gear in question was a new vest (bargain cave at Cabela's) hat, gloves and Diamond cutter diaphragm calls. All I've got to say is I am glad I got the new gear broke in. After all the time I put in the field this year I should be golden for next year.

Cause next year's only a year away, myself and my gear will be ready.

I did get some ok video, the first one is a couple of wood ducks that landed in the tree behind me and just hung out for a while. If you listen really close (turn up the volume) you can hear the Woodie's chirping.

The second video was a coon scurrying through my set up. I tried to stay on him the best I could without moving that much.

Well this will be my last entry until I get back from vacation. Hopefully I will be doing some fishing and should have some pics and hopefully some video for ya.

No comments: