Wednesday, November 26, 2008

so much hunting so little time




Well got out last week and shot this mallard flying right at me, going over my head. He fell on land behind me, when I got out of the boat to get him I turned to see a woodie dropping into my spread. So as stealthily as I could I snuck back to my boat, loaded my gun, jumped the woodie up and dropped him down. Did not see 1 goose all day.

Yesterday got out for some coon hunting. I stared at 2pm and hunted til 9:30. These are the lessons I learned #1. Always be ready. On my 5th or 6th set of seeing nothing I got set up, started the caller, and had 2 sets of eyes come screaming at me . Which brings us to #2. When calling at night and using long shooting sticks always have your aim low. I had set up and have never had coons respond the way they did last night. So I was set to shoot into the tree tops not at the 2 grizzlies coming right at me. The closest coon actually climbed the small tree I had put my call in lookin for a fight. I could not get my light and sights on them in sync and in time to shoot . Now with these two lessons fresh in my mind, on the 2nd set after this circus I set up on a coon trail, put the caller in front of me and let her rip. I heard this coon coming before I ever saw her eyes, she sounded like a truck crashing through the leaves coming at me. Had the light on her put her in the crosshairs and ....... coonzirra




Now this morning did some qwacker control on the river dropped a nice mallard. Had a ton of geese overhead, this one got too low I shot ... crap the goose didn't drop so I watched him and I could see he was goin down. So I did what any responsible hunter would do and went after him. To make a long story shorter I found him about 2 blocks from where I shot him at, on a pond that I had tried to get permission to hunt last year. So I went up to the guys house told his wife, I shot and wounded the goose on their pond, and could I go get it? She actually looked at me and said "well why did you shoot that goose?" I said the only thing that came to mind "cause it's goose season". Well she hymned and hawed around, finally got her husband and after letting him know the whole story he let me go get the goose.
By the way for those of you eagle eyed enough that's a mink I shot this morning on my duck hunt.



Just one more thought: If I could remember how crappy it is to pluck a Turkey before I shoot one, I would stay home and just buy one. But we all know that will never happen.

No comments: