Thursday, October 28, 2021

Little bit of luck and little bit of work

 This week really started out on Sunday night when one of my landowners shot me a text to see if I was going to hunt ducks on his property Monday. I hit him back with probably not Monday but within the next couple weeks. He sent a pic with in the neighborhood of 35 geese on it, so I let him know that I would be down Monday.
I hit up a couple people to see if they wanted to go and I got a yes and a maybe. So Monday morning I found myself on the way to Fort Wayne. When I got there I put out the decoys and stubbled up 2 layout blinds and waited for the ducks. I didn't have to wait long as I had 4 buzz me then come back around 15 minutes later, I dropped 1. Not long after that I had to move the decoys because of a wind switch. Just after I moved the last decoy I saw a flock of geese coming at me from the West so I got down and ready. They came in pretty easily and were going to set down right in the decoys until I sat up and started dropping 'em. I put 3 down on my first volley,  I reloaded I got back on the call and was able to bring them back and drop one more. The last goose I shot was on a marathon for a pond not on my property, so off to the races, old dude VS wounded goose. He made it a couple hundred yards before I was able to put my hands on him. But I finally got him, when I picked him up I noticed..... yahoo surprise he's banded, first one of the year. So, I walked up to the third one I shot and dispatched him and did the same with the second. When I got to the first one I shot I picked him up and saw..... yep another band. Totally awesome 4 geese and 2 bands, I brought them over and threw them in the other blind, before I got into mine I decided to take a pic and send it out to the 2 guys that could've been in on this. As I was taking them out I saw the first band and picked out the next goose and saw the second then I picked out the 3rd goose and saw the 3rd.... wait a minute 3rd band??? is the other goose banded too?
  Holy crap it is, so I shot 4 geese from a flock of 25 that were all banded, that's luck. So I took the pic of the four geese and duck and sent it out. I put the geese back in the layout and continued the hunt within a half hour I had a pair of ducks that came in and didn't leave. So with 1 goose needed and 1 duck I knew it was only a matter of .... dang that's a huge flock of geese. I saw and worked the flock of 50 or so geese into the spread I had 1 land and when the rest got into position I dropped my last goose. I went out and picked him up (no band) and waited for only a handful of minutes before I was able to end my day with my last duck.
That was a super fun really wet (still drying out) day. 
Really good start to the season.

Now for the work part of the segment... pay attention Mrs.Neff

So I've been having an issue with an over abundance of canned goods clogging up my cupboard where I keep them. In an effort to fix the issue I purchased a can organizer, the problem is the organizers that I have found are all too tall for the space I wanted to put them. I finally found one that I thought would work if the stars and moon align just right and someones measurement were off juuust enough. Well, this organizer was 11 1/4" tall and the bottom of my shelf was 11" on the bottom.
  I was hoping that it just might slide in, I was even prepared to help it in. Well neither worked so the easiest fix it to take out the shelf which in this case needed cut out. The shelf was I think glued in on the support that was just under it and wouldn't budge so I borrowed some Milwaukee tools and I was in business. As it turns out all I needed was the oscillating tool to do this job.
 After the cutout all I had to do was jam the can organizer in there.
 Next week all I have to do is get a new shelf and install it on top of the part I cut out. 
Problem solved.

No comments: