Sunday, May 14, 2017

Seans first Spring bird

 Well my minion got a hold of me last week and wanted to try for a turkey this year. Since I already had mine, I thought I could spare the time to call one in for him. So he and I went to the only place I have to turkey hunt and that would be those 5 magic acres from a couple years back. We got out on property a little late (per normal) and headed into the woods to sit and listen for at least half the day. After I got the decoys set out and set up the kill command area it was time to call and listen. All the video was taken with my RCA little wonders cam instead of my good cam so it's not the best at distance, but you get the idea.


Once the sun started coming up we heard a gobble to our left. Not in our woods but in the woods just across a field from us- that was good. The other gobble came from our right, way far right- that was bad. This gobble came from across the road and a creek. With the two birds talking I concentrated on the bird to our left.
Well after an hour of calling, the bird to our left found love and shut up. The bird on the right however was thundering every time I called which meant he was close and could hear me. I still thought he was across the creek and the road from us. I decided to get up go to the car drive down and see if I could see the bird. If I knew where he was it would be easier to get set up to cut him off. So I went out to the car and it wouldn't start, so I pulled up my big girl panties and walked down to see if I could see the bird.
Well I didn't see the bird so I went back to where we were sitting and continued to call every 10 minutes or so.
I was sitting there trying to figure out our next play. I started thinking the turkey gobbling was closer than I thought and he saw me get up and out of the woods. When I looked over to the left and saw 3 birds coming into the decoys. They didn't gobble, or strut I think they had been whooped by the big boy on the block.
 I didn't edit any of these videos so bear with them.
You should turn your volume up a little.

MMMMMmmm Turkey!!!!

No comments: